1 Jun 2015

Beauty tip 101: How to get rid of split ends



The worst thing to have when you are trying to grow your hair is SPLIT ENDS. Unfortunately I tend to get them a lot, even though I go for my regular trims, because I straighten my hair too often. I personally am not a fan of my natural hair so I turn to heat irons to get rid of my frizz. This tends to damage my hair even though I use serums and heat protecting sprays whenever I dry and straighten my hair.

Sadly you cannot get rid of split ends entirely but you can keep them under control with these simple steps:
  • Brush your hair before showering
This will reduce the amount of tangles and and breakage that might occur if you brush your hair after a shower. Brushing through tangled hair is what causes breakage and split ends.

  • Use a lot of conditioner on your hair
For the best results use a leave-in conditioner, the texture of the conditioner helps in smoothing your hair as well as prevents breakage. Remember to only apply shampoo to your roots, massage it in to get rid of any grease then rinse it off. The next step is to lather on conditioner to the ends of your hair and leave it in for a few minutes, then rinse it off.

  • Leave your hair to air-dry after a shower
The worst thing that you could do is brush your hair while it is wet. Leave your hair to dry in the natural sunlight and avoid brushing through it. This will mean one less heating product being used on your hair. Don't wrap your hair in a towel and in a knot. This will twist your hair making it weak. 

  • Avoid heat styling tools
This is by far the hardest step for me but it is the most effective. Leaving your hair to air dry is the best I can do. Heating tools burn your hair which causes your hair to weaken and eventually split. Curling irons, straighteners and blow-dryers are really bad for your hair. If you have to use them then it is best that you use a serum or heat protecting spray as well. If you have to use heating tools then try to limit it to a few times a week. Luckily messy buns, plaits and beachy waves are now in!

  • Trim your hair
When getting your hair trimmed, trim it about 1.5 inches above your split ends to prevent more damage because your split ends continue spitting if left unattended. 

  • Use a split end treatment
Treating your hair will help lock in your hairs natural moisture and essential oils.



I personally love using Avon's 'Advanced Techniques Moroccan Argan Oil.' It  is a leave-in treatment that can be used for all hair types. It helps to nourish and shine dry, damaged hair. It is perfect to use if you want to leave your hair looking softer, stronger and healthier.
A quick DIY mask for split ends:
  • Mix one egg yolk with 3 tbsp of olive oil.
  • Add 1 tbsp of honey.
  • Apply this DIY hair mask to the ends of your hair for 1 hour before washing it.
  • Apply this mask every two weeks. 
I hope this helps to keep your split ends under control!
xx

2 comments:

  1. These are great tips! <3
    x

    Roxy
    www.citgirlsearching.com

    ReplyDelete