15 Jul 2015

My Favourite Winter lipsticks : Mac Cosmetics Edition

Winter is my favourite season. Winter means more coffee, cuddling, mid-term vac, and most of all dark lipsticks. This year, deep, dark lipstick shades are all the range. Vampy and Gothic makeup looks are popping up in Winter magazines and have gotten everyone moving out of their comfort zone to try out these looks.


I have never been a fan of bright lipstick colours and have always opted for dark reds, plums and so on. This Winter I decided to save up my money and do a little splurging at Mac Cosmetics. 
Initially, I was going to buy 1 lipstick but when I got down to deciding which colour I couldn't make up my mind. 

Eventually, I ended up leaving Mac with 3 lipsticks. These were in the shade, Diva; Taupe; and Violetta. I am terrible at doing swatches for you but anyways I tried...


Diva is an intense deep red  lipstick with a matte finish. It is perfect if you want to go for a vampy makeup look. I love pairing this lipstick with an all black outfit and especially in the evening with a little black dress. If you want a dark red lipstick like Diva but don't want to pay the price then you can try the following dupes for Diva which are, Raisin Rage by Revlon or Cherry Bomb by Wet n Wild.


I have been looking for a nude lipstick for my skin tone for the past two years. Every time I purchased one I wasn't too happy. When the consultant at Mac showed my Taupe I was a bit hesitant because I knew it cost a lot and I didn't want to spend money on something I wasn't going to like. I decided to test it out in the store before purchasing and to my surprise it was perfect. I use this colour almost every day because I love matte nude lips. This shade is the ultimate 'my lips but better' shade for me. I love pairing this lipstick with a smokey eye makeup look. If you are looking for a dupe for this shade then you can try, Revlon Matte Lipstick in Coca Craving.


The last lipstick that I purchased was Violetta. This is an amplified creme violet purple. I was hesitant to purchase a purple lipstick but have been wanting to try one for a very long time. Violetta is bright and blue toned and can be worn at any time of the day. It has a reddish base and this is the only downfall to this shade. It is one of those colours you have to constantly be reapplying. However, the overall finish is definitely worth it. Violetta used to be part of their Permanent Pro shade range but now is permanently available. 

If you want to do some splurging this Winter then try out these shades. Personally I will use these shades throughout the year but I think these cover the different types of lipstick shades  that are ideal for Winter. Please let me know in the comments below which lipsticks you have been loving this Winter, xx.

6 comments:

  1. Loving the diva shade (though the violetta is very pretty too), it suits you so well.
    Thanks for sharing this (:

    modellabella.ml GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Isabelle! The Diva shade is my favourite out of the three,xx

      Delete
  2. Those colours are absolutely gorgeous! The taupe looks amazing but I've got my eye on that Violetta! I've been on the search for purple lipsticks that don't look odd with everyday wear.

    I'm always so hesitant to step into Mac, the sales clerks are sometimes so pushy there and don't give you a chance to say what you want...but I'm definitely going to save up and try to get Violetta...

    I was scrolling through LA Girl SA facebook page and see that they have a swatch of a similiar purpley red in their lipstick line called Romance .. :)

    Pri xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have opposite encounters with the sales reps at Mac, they usually think I am just in their to look around and not actually able to purchase anything so I get no attention. I was also on the look out for a purple lipstick and I am pretty glad I came across Violetta. It is a bit pricey so I think LA Girl will be a good option, you should also try Cutting Edge by Rimmel London. Send me an email and I will let you know on a few lipsticks you can try out.

      Thanks for the comment Pri,
      xx

      Delete
  3. That purple colour is gorgeous! I haven't used any Mac lipsticks before they are just so expensive


    Candice Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed! I personally won't waste money on their lustre range because you have to constantly be reapplying it. Their matte range is quite amazing. I think it is definitely worth being on your splurge list.
      Thanks for stopping by Candice!

      Delete