27 Jul 2016

REVIEW: essence ALL ABOUT MATT! OIL-FREE MAKE-UP


The final two products for my essence Cosmetics series is the essence All about matt! Oil-free makeup foundation and the foundation brush. If you have extremely oily skin then this mattifying product is just what you need!


If you didn't read my previous essence Cosmetics #LoveYourShade product reviews then you can read the essence cover stick review here, soft touch mousse foundation here, and the mattifying compact powder here.

According to essence, their All about matt! Oil-free makeup, "gives your complexion a matt effect to make it smooth and silky-soft. The long lasting formula lasts up to 12 hours and the oil-free texture won’t block your pores."

Firstly, I would like to discuss the packaging. I love the sleek smooth packaging that it comes in. The nozzle at the top is small enough to dispense the right amount of product. What I do not like is the fact that the writing on the packaging rubs off quite easily. However, the size and shape of the makeup which makes it travel-friendly.


The actual product is very thin in consistency which allows you to achieve a light to medium finish once applied. This also makes it very blendable depending on whether or not you are using a brush, brush or your trusty old' fingers. Due to the fact that it is very thin, it does not provide a full coverage. The reason for this consistency is because it has less oil in the formula and more water.  This makes it sweet very quickly on your face so I suggest that you add a bit to sections on your face and work on a section at a time and not spiky it to your entire face at once. Since it has a lot of water it works well for those with oily skin.  It does not add more shine to your face and gives your a matte finish.

Since it is a lightweight foundation it is best to set it with powder.  I don't think it is advisable to build up the coverage because it can look cakey. This is due to the lack of oil in the formula which generally helps provide a smooth finish. However, you do end up with a natural finish which is great if you're a fan of the no-makeup makeup look.

I am using the shade, matt sand which I think is the second darkest shade in the range. The darkest being, matt mahogany. essence added this for women of color in their #loveyourshade range. Unfortunately, it is a shade light for me but my mom loves it and has been using it as an everyday foundation for the past month.

essence Cosmetics claims that this product can last up to 12 hours. I don’t think it can but it does provide the necessary coverage throughout a working day. I do however think that it does a good enough job provided that you set it with powder.

All in all, I really love the fact that this is an all matt foundation. It is extremely affordable and essence does not test on animals.


If this is not the cutest foundation brush you have ever seen then I don't know what is. essence has out done itself with their pastel brush range. They are chic and work like a dream. 

I personally love how soft the bristles. I am generally not a fan of using a flat foundation brush for applying my foundation. I use this brush to apply my face masks or to apply cream contour and highlight products. I am able to pick up the product and apply it to the exact place. When it comes to cream contouring you cannot apply the darker shade to heavy handed because it requires a lot of blending and is more noticeable than a powder contour. I love this brush because it gets my contour exactly across my cheekbone in a thin line and I am able to control how thick the contour line is.

It is very easy to wash this brush and it still remains soft and delicate after a few washes. This makes it perfect to use as a brush for your face masks which tend to get rather messy when you use your hands. The essence foundation brush is versatile and looks beautiful both on your vanity or bathroom sink.


essence Cosmetics,  All about matt! Oil-free makeup can be purchased from Dischem and Clicks for R67.50.

11 comments:

  1. I have this foundation but haven't tried it yet - I like that its light weight

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried any of the Essence foundations yet. I need to go and check them out.

    That brush is super cute!!!

    https://anordinarygalblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh I def need some of these because my skin keeps breaking out! I think it's a combination of the summer head/sweat and then my makeup! Thank you for sharing :)
    Liv | THE TASTEMAKER

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find Essence products to be really good, one of my favs :)

    www.fashionjazz.co.za

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny enough, I did a review on this foundation a few months ago! I think for the price, it is pretty alright. Definitely my go-to if I want a casual day of bare coverage haha <3

    xx   B A S H   |   go say   H E Y   B A S H

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo... This sounds like a wonderful foundation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. matt makeup product my all time Favorite.

    Regards
    Kiran

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing, essence is always so handy for cheap but good make up. Thank you for sharing! I am loving you blog and you seem so nice too, let me know if you would like to follow each other and stay in touch! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always find it hard to apply foundation with brushes like that because they tend to leave streaks. I've also never heard of Essence before. I'm surprised they were able to make a matte foundation with a light to medium coverage. Usually it's medium-full coverage. That's impressive. I'll keep a look out for this brand next time I'm looking for makeup!

    Heba xx ││The Heba

    ReplyDelete