18 Jul 2017

REVIEW: LUSH 9 TO 5 CLEANSER


Cleansers have played a vital role in my skin care regime. I have followed a strict routine religiously over the past year. I posted a daily skin care routine a few weeks ago which you can read, here. I
recently used my last pump of the Body Shop Tea Tree Foaming Cleanser, and so I was on the lookout for a new product to try out. Although the price is a tad out of my budget I can’t help but get drawn into Lush by their calming and soothing scented products. I picked up their ‘9 to 5’ cleanser
and I decided to share my thoughts on it after using it for three weeks.

9 to 5 is Lush first liquid cleanser. If you are a true Lushie then you would know that Lush love creating products that are contained in a tub (Angels on Bare Skin, Dark Angels) or a solid product (Fresh Farmacy, Coalface).

I have always used liquid cleansers so I naturally reached for the 9 to 5 cleanser. This cleanser is an infusion of almond oil and a fresh dove orchid extract to create a cleansing lotion. These products according to Lush, help to brighten your skin, remove dirt, and remove makeup off your face. This product is essentially a combination of a cleanser and a makeup remover all in one.

The 9 to 5 cleanser is a creamy white cleanser contained in a travel-friendly bottle. In order to use this product all you need to do it unclip the lid and pour the product into your palm. The cleanser looks like it would be really thick but due to the almond oil infused into it, it is actually a thin velvet consistency. Despite being thin, it is still able to hold itself in your palm and is not runny. I was advised by a sales assistant at Lush that this product can be used directly over makeup as a makeup remover.

The first time I used this product I did the same. I used lukewarm water to remover the product once I massaged it into my skin to breakdown the makeup. I must admit that I was not surprised by the result. As I glanced back at my towel once I dried my face I saw brown smears all over it. This was clear indications that the makeup was not completely removed off my face. As most youth do these days, I grabbed my phone and went onto Google furiously searching people’s thoughts on this product. After scrolling for a few minutes I came across a few tips from other bloggers who suggested using a warm face towel, wet wipes or a cotton swab to remove the 9 to 5 cleanser off my face as opposed to just using water. The next morning I used the cleanser and since I had no makeup on my face I used it purely for the purpose of cleansing my face. The creamy formula cleansed and softened my skin leaving it ready to conquer the day. That evening I followed the instructions of fellow bloggers and used a wet wipe to remove the cleanser once I massaged it into my skin. Although I found that it did indeed remove my makeup I still had the urge to go in with foaming cleanser to remove any traces of moisture/chemical that the wet wipe might have left behind. I have always needed to cleanse my face after using a wet wipe because I do not feel comfortable with the ingredients that are used to keep the wipes “moist” for the lack of better word.

After much deliberation and cleansing throughout the past weeks I have realised that this is not the ideal cleanser for me. The reason for this is that I use an oil to remove my makeup being the Johnsons and Johnsons baby oil which I mentioned in my ‘Daily skin care routine’ post. The Lush 9 to 5 cleanser although containing amazing products that help soften and repair your skin, contains oils which remain on your skin once you wash it. This requires me to use a towel or wet wipe to remove the oil and then a desire to re-cleanse my skin.

At the end of the day, this is a lovely cleanser to use in the morning to bring some moisture and life back into your skin and to prep it for the day. However, I do not think that this is the right cleanser for me to use in the evenings. I love the foamy feel of a cleanser as well as one that can be removed by water only. It looks like I will be making another trip to Lush, and its time I be a little brave and try a solid cleanser.

If you feel like this cleanser ticks all of your needs then pop into Lush and you can purchase the 9 to 5 cleanser for R105.00 (95g) or R195.00 (240g). For more information visit, www.lush.co.za .

6 comments:

  1. Maybe it is more suitable as a second cleanse after makeup removal? It sounds like a great gentle option for dry skins.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a nice product. I haven't used other Lush products yet besides their bath bombs :D

    xx Alyssa // STYLE VANITY

    ReplyDelete